Spousal Support And Alimony

Alimony or spousal support is a financial award that may be paid to one spouse during the marriage or after the divorce to help maintain financial equity between the two parties. Courts in Pennsylvania typically award temporary spousal support or alimony pendente lite (APL) prior to entry of a divorce. Although the terms are often used interchangeably and the award is calculated in the same way, there are differences between these forms of support. After a divorce, the court may award alimony. Unlike spousal support or APL, alimony after divorce is not calculated by formula, but by balancing the needs of the dependent spouse with the ability of the other spouse to pay in order to achieve economic justice under the divorce law.

I am attorney Elisabeth Pride, and I represent and counsel clients in Mt. Lebanon, Pittsburgh and throughout southwestern Pennsylvania who wonder whether they should expect to pay or receive spousal support or alimony.

Temporary Spousal Support Or Alimony Pendente Lite

Spousal support or alimony pendente lite may be payable by one divorcing spouse to another until their divorce is final. I help clients understand the differences and similarities between spousal support and APL. I also help them determine whether they might be eligible to receive support or be required to pay it and how much. Finally, I help them negotiate an appropriate payment.


Alimony is typically awarded to enable a dependent spouse to rehabilitate his or her earning capacity in order to become self-supporting after a divorce. If employment training is impossible or impractical after a long-term marriage, alimony can help achieve economic justice between divorcing spouses when only one of them can feasibly earn a meaningful living.Alimony is also sometimes used to achieve economic justice where marital assets that cannot be divided are awarded to the other spouse.

I help clients assess whether alimony is an option for them, and I help determine the best balance of alimony and asset distribution to help clients get on with their lives.

Learn more about the counsel an experienced lawyer can provide by scheduling your free initial consultation. I take pride in the work I do and strive to achieve the best results for my clients — in or out of court. I can be reached through an online contact form or by calling 412-254-3985.